Year 6 learning about engineering
Design &Technology / Food & Nutrition
Technology prepares children to take part in the development of tomorrow’s rapidly changing world. Creative thinking encourages children to make positive changes to their quality of life. The subject encourages children to become autonomous and creative problem-solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. It enables them to identify needs and opportunities and to respond by developing ideas and eventually making products and systems. Through the study of Design and Technology, they combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetic, social and environmental issues, as well as functions and industrial practices. This allows them to reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and its impacts. Design and Technology helps all children to become discriminating and informed consumers and potential innovators.
The aims of Technology are:
- to develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- to enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas;
- to encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures;
- to explore attitudes towards the made world and how we live and work within it;
- to develop an understanding of technological processes, products, and their manufacture, and their contribution to our society;
- to foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making.
- To evaluate the success of their design and to consider ways of improving it
Technology is taught in all year groups on a carousel of Art, Design & Technology and Food Technology. Children are taught in groups of 20 for a double lesson a week for a term.
Units of study give due coverage to all areas of the QCA document
- Year 5 - CAD-CAM & Materials- (Computer Aided Design & Manufacture) Key Ring, Ruler and Coaster.
- Year 6 - Mechanisms and Resistant Materials - Sweet Dispenser Project.
- Year 7 - Product Design - Design and manufacture clocks aimed at Target Market of choice.
- Year 8 - Electronic Systems - Design and manufacture an electronic night light.
Food & Nutrition
- Year 5 - From Farm to Fork- Where food comes from.
- Year 6 - Healthy Eating - Eating and preparing a balanced diet.
- Year 7 - Careful Catering - Preparing meals for people with different dietary requirements.
- Year 8 - Ideal Ingredients - Adapting recipes to suit different needs.
Please find our downloadable recipes below.