Pond dipping fun in science with the RSPB
In science 5RM went pond dipping. We were searching for all kinds of creatures such as: frogspawn, water boatmen and diving beetles.
All ready to discover what creatures live in our pond
In science 5RM went pond dipping. We were searching for all kinds of creatures such as: frogspawn, water boatmen and diving beetles. We had periscopes that we used to see underwater; it was hard to see as it was pretty dark but lots of students thought they saw a tadpole. Thomas and I found a water spider that skimmed over the water that even impressed Mrs Fletcher! The lady from the RSPB was even surprised we found one. It must be rare in this environment.
We caught the pond life by:
1. Scooping the net in the pond
2. Putting the contents of the net on the tray. We needed to be careful as we didn’t want to harm the animals in the net
3. Bravely getting our hands slimy when removing all the pond weed from the tray
4. Finding the pond life and identifying it
5. Making a record of the pond life
6. Getting our hands dirty AGAIN when removing the pond life from the tray and safely putting it back in the water
5RM all had a brilliant time doing the activity and would recommend it to everyone; Just make sure you don’t hurt any creatures while you are pond dipping.
By Alexander 5RM
Look what we've found
Taking a closer look